Planning the “Radical Science Fair”: Members reported back on the groups and potential venues they’d reached out to after last meeting regarding a “Radical Science Fair” to be hosted in Late April or Early May. Since labor organizing and environmental justice will only be part of the themes of the event, we decided it was less important to host something April 26 or May 2, so are now exploring May 9 additionally. Groups including DSA Ecosocialism Caucus are interested in partnering with us, and we are focusing this week on reaching out to other groups, including other members of science for the people and those who may be able to host activities particularly engaging for children and teenagers.
This event will not explicitly be tied to the Cambridge Science Festival, but we did submit an application for us to host something there this spring, and will prioritize doing so for next year as well as joining the Honk parade in the fall.
Priorities Discussion Next Meeting: To pick events (like the Cambridge Science Festival and HONK! parade) that are priorities, our next meeting WHICH WILL BE ON TUESDAY MARCH 10 AT BU will focus on discussing our priorities for the coming year. The meeting after that, we will have a discussion/training on how to engage new members.
Material for New Website (boston.scienceforthepeople.org): In addition to meeting summaries like these and reviews/articles that our members write, anyone can email email@example.com to post articles or updates to the site. Web material will also be a standing agenda item.
- “Data for Black Lives” are having a conference at MIT on December 11th -13th at MEDIALAB. Are looking at the intersection of data science and social justice. We are offering to help organize.
- There is interest in organizing a Climate strike on April 22nd. Next planning meeting is March 9th. It is supposed to be a large meeting with MIT students. Anyone interested
- VISION and GOALS for 12 months
- Involvements in the MIT climate strike
- Web Content
- Code of Conduct Discussion